Now Hiring: Director of Operations
Old South Church in Boston seeks a Director of Operations to join the Senior Leadership team. Working in conjunction with the Senior Church Administrator and reporting to the Senior Minister, the Director of Operations will be stepping into this newly created role to enhance and coordinate Old South’s various operational projects and tasks, including but not limited to: building management, human resources, financial operations, strategic management of long term projects, and liaising with outside vendors and contractors. The Director of Operations will have myriad opportunities in Old South’s highly collaborative and communicative workplace to discover efficiencies, streamline and oversee processes and procedures, and provide a well-maintained, safe, compliant, and functioning platform for our ministries and mission.
Application Deadline: January 24th
- Ensure that the buildings’ day-to-day care and operation is at a superior level, including ensuring the grounds are well-tended and attractive;
- Provide oversight of the buildings’ systems, including plumbing and mechanical, HVAC, recycling, A/V, and IT;
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, including energy and other “green” initiatives;
- Ensure expenditures on the buildings are reasonable and efficient;
- Coordinate and serve as owner’s representative, and help secure grants for large capital projects on behalf of the Operations Committee and Trustees.
- Oversee policies, procedures, and protocols around security (physical and cyber), health and safety;
- Select and manage business process software; ensure appropriate training and maintenance is provided;
- Coordinate and manage selection and renewal of benefits programs in conjunction with Old South’s Accountant & HR Administrator;
- Maintain and revise pertinent documentation, including the Personnel Handbook in conjunction with Old South’s Accountant & HR Administrator;
- Supervise the Archivist, Gardener, Senior Sexton, Accountant & HR Administrator, and Preschool Director; collaborate with direct reports to help find and implement efficiencies and areas of improvement.
- Oversee building expenses and budgeting of building related and insurance expenses in collaboration with the Accountant & HR Administrator;
- Collaborate with the Preschool Director, Accountant & HR Administrator, and Chair of Finance to preserve the school’s financial stability and operational protocols;
- Monitor capital fund in relation to long-term capital projects; work with Trustees, Operations and Finance Committee to determine current and future project requisitions and plans.
- Represent Old South’s interests and assets by serving as liaison to various organizations;
- Through these interactions, work to maintain Copley Square and combat community deterioration, as well ameliorate the condition of our unhoused neighbors;
- Maintain strong working relationships with the Boston Public Library and Museum of Fine Arts in relation to Old South’s various collections of precious and historical items.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, with an emphasis in Building Management or related disciplines;
- Solid supervisory experience and skills in leading employees through goal-setting, planning, and execution; ability to resolve conflict productively;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- 8+ years of professional work experience, with significant time spent in positions with a focus on systems and process development, operations, and facilities management;
- Process-oriented, forward thinker who promotes integration of operations from all church functions and programs;
- Demonstrates understanding of and commitment to the values and mission of Old South Church
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative and team-oriented structure;
- Superior organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize work; expert at focusing on both long-term issues and daily, practical issues;
- Has a strong willingness to work with and leverage volunteers;
- Strong strategic and tactical thinking, project management skills, and attention to detail;
- Desire to discover efficiencies and work creatively with a “can do” attitude.
Candidates applying for this position may be ordained or non-ordained.
Old South Church in Boston is a vibrant, intergenerational, multicultural, theologically progressive Christian church located in the heart of Boston. A congregation of the United Church of Christ, we worship a God who is bigger than we can know or comprehend. As an urban church, we minister at the intersections of great affluence and even greater need. From here, we take our faith into our community and the world. We welcome all who enter, offering resources for doing justice, practicing kindness and walking humbly with God. Our campus includes a National Historical Landmark completed in 1875, offer a “Sanctuary in the City” accepting visitors and members alike, seven days a week.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org